Slay babe, banish these baddies (parabens, PEGs, mineral oil, fragrances and the rest) far away from your beauty routines!
We’ve all had our fair share of bad boyfriends and dishonest X’s, and we’ve had enough of them haters. So why stop at relationships? We say NO to ALL the baddies in life that don’t do you any favours. So wise up, holla HELL NO, and show the door to these shady ingredients lurking in your beauty products:
PEGS or phthalates
Artificial scents, artificial colours or dyes
Sulphates or silicones
BEA or TEA
These sneaky fellas are unnatural and totally avoidable. Take a look at the ingredients label on your beauty products now, and see how many rear their ugly heads in the listings (even in products claiming they are natural). One? Two? Too many to count?
Too often these synthetic ingredients are there for the beauty companies but not for you, to enable en masse production on a global scale, that just forgets about what’s best for us gals. We’re here to share this knowledge, and we want you to make this discovery too. Because what’s life without your best buds watching your beautiful backs!
Here’s our 7 worst offenders and what they actually do (and don’t do) to you:
1. Parabens are used as preservatives in pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and food products. Doesn’t sound too bad, right? My grans preservatives are pretty damn tasty? Wrong. These compounds mimic oestrogen in the body, and if present for a sustained period, they can have a cumulative effect and pose a health risk.
2. Mineral Oil & Petrolatum are favoured for their price (cheap as chips with gravy on top) and super long shelf life. Their occlusives – meaning they seal off the skin from air, water or anything else getting in (or out). Oh hello blocked pores = trapped dirt and oil = blackheads, pimples, whiteheads, you name it. They’re also hormone disruptors and don’t offer any nourishment to the skin. Cut off the dead weight people!
3. Sodium Lauryl / Laureth Sulfates (aka SLS & SLES) are there as showmen to make things foam so you think its working but in truth it doesn’t do anything to clean you. They’re known skin irritants that aggravate eczema and psoriasis and is also known to cause dermatitis. So next time you foam up for your morning shower sing-a-long (Beyonce at the ready?), change your tune and give us a HELL NO.
4. Phthalates are worse than a bad first date. They are an industrial chemical that are also found in food packaging! Some people believe they are linked to liver cancer, reducing sperm count and contribute to childhood obesity. *Shakes head, tuts tongue, puts hands o wrap n hip and swats a hole lotta hate to that phthalate.
5. Polyethylene Glycol (aka PEGS) are made from the same chemical used in anti-freeze (yes the same one you put on your car)! It easily penetrates the skin and drys its out. So it’s is a big no no.
6. Fragrance. This is the trade secret for most beauty companies as it means they don’t have to tell you what exactly is going into your product. So sorry babe but you could be applying a tonne more bad stuff on your skin. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) have found that fragrance mixes are associated with allergies, dermatitis and respiratory issues.
7. Formelyhyde. Commonly found in nail products, this chemical is a known carcinogen, allergen and irritant.
Too much info? A bit scary? Don’t stress. These are all totally avoidable, babe. Our sisters over at B&G have done all the heavy-left hand swiping for you and have created 100% natural and naturally-derived blends that work, work, work, work hard for you.
Can we get an encore, do you want more, for Better Beauty?